/bɪ ə gʊd gɜ:l/ n. moniker of she who blogs here [also known as, bie]; adj. personal awesome advice to all female kiddos

meet the fam #thechennies

meet the fam #thechennies

,

C is for Cake

It was my October First post which got me panicking. Because I officially had only one month to plan for the jiejie's birthday! I had been too caught up with my mama's surprise staycay for her birthday (from Friday to yesterday), I had plain forgot to get started...

Not that we were doing a big celebration or anything, ZX and I already agreed that we would have a first month shower and first birthday party for the kids, then just normal family get-togethers for the rest of the birthdays. But then, Bielet started school and all the little children had at least one birthday cake and gave their classmates goodie bags, so we also had a small birthday party for her in school last year. She was the baby of her class, and her birthday was the last celebration before the K2 graduation ceremony and the class performance.

Bielet doesn't fancy cakes so for her birthday last year, we decided to get her a jelly cake (as we did for her baby shower - not that she remembered but). I thought she might want a Hello Kitty or Tayo The Little Bus character cake, but she requested a Barney one.


Bielet was so so SO pleased with her jelly cake that she asked for thirds (that's not counting all the hearts she nicked off that cake tray). Her teacher was rather bemused by this because it wasn't the usual cake-cake and she asked me for the contact. I don't particularly like agar agar, but this very much reminds me of the Tweety Bird jelly cake that my Aunty Wendy got me for my birthday yonks ago!

Us with the birthday girl! Who is, um, sitting like a trishaw rider.

We even got matching Barney plates!

And her Godma gave her a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig balloon which she absolutely loved. I dunno why the kiddos go crazy over these balloons?

If I was hardcore, I would have packed Barney loot bags too but actually it just occurred to me. Sorry, one year too late! Anyways, here's what I did for her classmates.

A pair of socks (personalised with each child's initial - e.g. E for Ezekiel), plus Bielet's favourite snacks of jellies and cookies! I rolled each sock into a paper cup, ala cupcake, and wrapped everything up like a hamper.

I wanted to give something useful and would last, instead of just snacks and snacks, which would leave the kids with a sore throat. The idea was also for Bielet to stamp the socks herself, but I realised that the alphabet stamps were too fine (and the mother was too anal) so she just helped with the painting. She chose the colours for each of her friends while I stamped the socks meself. Looking back at the photos, I still think they are quite cute. Whaddaya think?

And while we said no parties, we did have a couple of dinners with the fam.

Although Bielet doesn't like cake, she loved these so much that she polished off two at one go. Bravo!

With Ian tortor!

My bro has the same birthdate as Bielet (high five, Ma!), and my sis's bf has his a few days before, so we usually celebrate together. (If you're wondering about Bielet's getup, she had her performance at the K2 graduation before this hence the unusually-dressed up - or dressed down - look.)

The Mr Men & Little Miss cupcakes and awesome threesome cake (chocolate cake with chocolate creme brulee filling, chocolate ganache and chocolate whipped cream) were from Missus Bonbon, which tasted sooooooooooooooooo good that we ordered the cake for Bieny's first birthday from there too. 

Bieny's carnival birthday cake, inspired by her favourite jigsaw puzzle!

The cake was wonderfully decorated but sadly, didn't taste as nice. Maybe I chose the wrong flavours... Anyways, if you're interested to have a look at the other cakes we got for Bielet on her earlier birthdays, see here and here.

This year, Bielet wants a Frozen-themed birthday cake (no surprise, huh) so I've gotten in touch with a baker whose cakes I really like, and I'm also being hardcore and putting together Frozen-themed goodie bags. Unfortunately, I started too late so I had to forgo some of the gems from US, which would have been perfect (what if it takes three weeks shipping and I have nothing in the goodie bags?!) I've since decided what to put in the bags but need to put together all the elements first. Half a month left to go~ Wish me luck on the birthday bags!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

archives