/bɪ ə gʊd gɜ:l/ n. moniker of she who blogs here [also known as, bie]; adj. personal awesome advice to all female kiddos

meet the fam #thechennies

meet the fam #thechennies

,

Fresh Fruits Lab

Close to a month now, I've been heading into office on Tuesday afternoons and because ZX comes to pick me, we get a date night each week. #win

We went to Fresh Fruits Lab (FFL) {website} one of those evenings. It was actually our second attempt to eat there, the first being eve of CNY. I had been so excited to bring the girls because they love fruits and I figured FFL was all about the fruits. But it was closed - ugh never update website on CNY non-operating hours! - and we eventually discovered Do.Main Bakery, so all's good. (As for the "all about the fruits" part, the fruits are mostly in their desserts and beverages. There are fruit inspirations or sides in the mains but nothing centrestage there. See their menu here.)

True to it's name, there are a few laboratory elements within the small cafe, but nothing too mad scientist. In fact, it feels as cosy as your best friend's home. I reckon the place can seat around 30-40 people, with some on the bartop table/chairs, some outside and a grand total of two baby high chairs.

The beaker of water is a cute touch. The sheets of menu paper looking worst for wear, not so cute.

Parking options are by the side of the roads but the upside is that this joint is away from the buzz of Geylang and not as crazy crowded (almost at Kallang - quite close to office, hence).

A lot of effort went into the decor of the place, don't you think?

And I'm totally digging the chalk art.

Yes, but what about the food? I'm glad to say we absolutely loved it and will be definitely coming back to fill our tummies. We just have to overlook the very newbie staff though (we got the wrong order served initially and they don't seem very updated on the menu, but the place is new so must give chance, eh?)

The service staff greeted us with our complimentary aperitifs and by that, I meant, he just gave these to us. I called him back and asked what we were drinking, but he couldn't answer me. After checking with (presumably) the boss, he said these were "peach and carrot (on the left), spinach and cucumber (on the right)". Both were sweet and light, but the green tube did taste pretty 'raw'.

My golden osmanthus tea arrived pretty as a picture, but again, I was perplexed by what this was. "Am I supposed to add the leaves?" I asked ZX, who threw me an equally lost look. This time, I asked another service staff and she said the leaves are for when I need a refill of water. They brought the tray back to the kitchen when I eventually asked for a top up, so I still don't really know how it works. The tea, though, tasted like any ol' tea - maybe it wasn't infused long enough? Sad.

My Masago Caviar Pasta ($20). I totally wasn't expecting three ginormous scallops but yes, you can see them too right? The sauce was slightly too oily for my liking but it was bursting with flavour. While I don't usually finish my food nowadays (sad, my tummy has shrunk in capacity but the belly fat remains WAH LAU), I totally polished this! The penne was perfectly al dente. I'm even willing to forgive the piece of shell on my scallop - this always happens to me, and only me.

ZX's Da Bomb Burger ($19). The man loves his burgers and this is one more to add to his list. In retrospect, the burger looks so tiny in comparison to the fries but that's my bad. I was too lazy to angle the plate nicely. The shoestring fries didn't turn soggy by the end of the meal, so it's a winner in my books. And that accompanying salad adds such a refreshing twist to the dish, don't you think?

We had a couple of dessert takeaways, and the lady (whom I presumed is the boss) separated the recipes so the takeaways were sans GST. How thoughtful! 

The calamansi tart ($6.50) is super sour, and is really good for those who need their zing! The lone tart was for my Ah Yi who loves lemon meringue tarts and we dropped it off on our way home (she gave both thumbs up for this, btw). The lychee cake ($6.50) is supposed to be a chef's recommendation, but by the time we got home, it had melted and I didn't feel like trying it because I'm fussy like that. My mum said the lychee taste was really strong though, so I'm figuring it's good.

Mannnnnnnnn, blogging this at night is making me so hungry. My bro and his gf went for brunch before this and their dishes looked scrumptious too. Be back soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

archives